Pages

May 12, 2007

Our Friendship Story!!!

Its about us:
Kay, Niks/Nikki, Tashi/ Tash

Time and Venue:

April 1999 – Bholas classes and its premises

The story so far:

After moving from Vile Parle to Kandivali wasn’t a great feeling, even after almost 15 years I still feel the same. Moving from a joint family with people who loved and pampered you all the time, with family and school friends with whom you had spent most of your time having fun, proximity of juhu beach and gardens around, to a place called Kandivali, a tacky place it was and to a certain extend it still is.

The choice coming to that place was not out of free will but the need, because we needed to move out, along with my dada and dadi even my mum and dad were working, so basically mom being a teacher and my sis being really too young to be left with a maid, it was important that someone could take care of the kids (that’s me and my sis) we had to move to Kandivali, why???? Because my nana and nani were absolutely free with nothing actually to be done in life. So we move to kandivali in a new home which was like 5 mins from my nana and nai’s place. Though I still think it was never a great idea because mum left her job in just 6 months after we moved to this place.

Now why I blabbered so much bout moving out of home. The reason, the lifestyle and crowd in Parle was way different than here. Most importantly the crowd, the people were disgusting. I finally got into a catholic school and the people or the students or class mates were terrible. I studied in a school where it was compulsory to talk in English, people’s outlook of competition was very different. I come here to this school and place which was really diverse in terms of people. Marashtrians, south Indians, catholics and gujrati’s and everyone talking in their owm mother toungue and talking in English was considereda show off, damn… which was different from the older one with a majority of gujrati’s and punjabi’s so the kind of atmosphere in school was also different, the way my mates dealt with things and even the outlook was very different, so I goes without saying that I did not like the new lifestyle.

Now why did I say all this as well, the reason because of those sick people who thought competing was not sharing notes and books, rather than working hard they thought teasing and grouping up was an answer. I gave up to all this and since I had to be with them I chose to be the reserved one. Be with myself in my world and so I never landed up making friends out in this place (I am very selective in this matter) I still don’t have many even today, with just a couple of them I hv started interacting and socializing and its just been a year.

So after all this, I finally reached class ten and since being the board exams that year crucial for taking the career stream everyone took classes & my parents thought that even I should be joining one. I was so not interested in being in Kandivali and refused to join any classes out here. So with some arguments and lil stubbornness and with 3 guys from my school (Amar, Hrishikesh and Kunal) I landed up in parle at bholas traveling from kandivali early morning ( though it became a great gossip in school about this one mad girl thts me going all the way till parle for classes that too with 3 guys), doesn’t matter. And after doing that I felt I got my old life back, and seriously is I did.

Nikita was my batch mate and we started of with a big fight for a corner seat. Heheh haha so funny but finally landed teaming up so that only we both would sit on that seat and mutually decided that alternately we would sit on the corner, and the fun was till the end of the year we never allowed anyone to sit with us. We got along really well, and we did lotta pranks together when our homework used to be incomplete.

Now there was this first Sunday of May when we were suppose to start our weekly tests & our first test was physics, the entire week we dosed off in class, never completed our homework, lotta talks & siting all the time in mc donalds coz it was new to Mumbai.
Now Sunday morning test is at 11. We both were in premises trying to rack our brains on problems of Velocity since 7.00. There was this other guy who also was studying like us sitting on the stairs. He kept observing us & nikki after a while gave up, & when she cant get things she loses her patience & same happened that day. She shouted at me why the hell was I trying to slove those problems because we never paid attention in the class & now to understand & those problems someone had to explain us the theory behind it. & we were scared coz out test reports were posted at our homes & the terror of facing our strict moms was already on our minds. So this guy comes up & offered help if we wanted he could explain. Since he was older to us we were hesitant & we never knew him. So we first spent few mins asking about him wht the hell was he studying for at that hr & we realized that he had take classes on the first floor IIT JEE exam & every Sunday he too had tests. This boy was 3 years elder to us, but we were in a soup & atleast needed to know something so that we could write something in the test. So we took his help & he did a good job. We passed the test & next Sunday again we met & we thanked him. This landed us studying together every sunday every on the stairs of bholas from 7 to 11 & then we used to go & appear for out tests.

Now this was not left on to Sundays but during weekdays and our breaks which happened to be at the same time we used to have snacks together spent more time together. Kay was always tensed because he knew to get thru IIT wasn’t not an easy task. I still remember Nikki couldn’t make it for that Sunday test because she had to go for some wedding & it was just me & Kay & I had biology test. Finally his last test & he was so tensed that he couldn’t recall a simple algebraic expression & I came in as his saviour. We stopped studying & kept on talking, & finally to relieve him I still remem I said “Since I have taught you, you won’t fail & definitely will get thru IIT, I have setting with Sai Baba, I will ask him to help you”

Days passed by, me & Nikki with our routine life & by last week of June Kay got his IIT results & he got thru IIT Mumbai & in electronics & telecommunication, everything he wanted. He was so excited but since we never exchanged our numbers he could call us & inform us. The next day he was waiting for us to tell the news, then he invited us to his place & he thought I deserved a treat coz I was confident that he could get thru. We went to his place & had some good fun.

Then came July, we were at khasiyat sitting & in talks we began to discuss our bday’s, we were planning something so that all three of us can spend the day together which only brought to our realization that we had our bdays in a row on 18, 19 & 20th July, so decided we celebrate it together on 19th July which was my bday. We had a blast & since then these 3 days are like festival for us.

We spent all our free time together, & whenever we need to go home to freshen up it was only Kay’s home we landed coz only he used to stay in parle, coz I was from kandivali & niki from b&ra. So I guess we bonded so well with his family. Then nikki suffered from typhoid later in July & then I was left alone. So it was just me & Kay. Then it was time for rakhi & me & kay ended discussing how I badly needed an elder bro on whom I can throw tantrum, demand things coz elder bros are always sweeter compared to having an elder sis. Since I was the older one I was always on the giving side. With same thoughts Kay was fed up with Shruti di (kay’s elder sis) that always used to keep scolding him & asking him to do things for her. So he felt he should have a younger sis on whom he can boss & bribe her to do things for him. We mutually matched our needs & then decided if we could be tht bro & sis & that rakhi he got a younger sis & I got an elder bro, something we wanted for long. A relationship that is too close to our hearts and only for the day of rakhi, otherwise we are only friends all thru the year.

This new relationship made our bond quite strong & we actually did what we looked for. We still do same things even today – natak, nautanki, bribing, blackmailing, fighting arguing, throwing things on one another. I some how became a part of his family, called his parents sheela mum & dad. I had a new set of parents & since then there was no looking back. We went ahead with time. We 3 shared all our heart felts, sometimes there were fights because Kay always tried to be the older and smarter one as if he knew everything but always lost coz there were 2 girls on the other side. After class 12 Nikki moved to UK with her family. So it was just me n Kay left back. We spend like 2 yrs after Nikki left yet she was always a part of our lives. Then after Kay finished his engineering he decided to move US & now its been 4 yrs he has been there. Even Nikki moved to US 2 yrs back.

In all this 9 years nothing has changed. Even the distance never was a matter. Though Nikki comes down every 2 yrs, Kay comes to Mumbai every year and past 2 yrs almost every eight months. So we see to it that the vacations are planned that all three of us can spend some time together. We have shared our lives. I guess Nikki’s mom & my mom or our families have only heard of us, not even seen our pics or hardly aware of this friendship. It’s only in words for them but it has grown with time.As for Kay & his family, its another home for me just as mine.

3 of us – Kay is style and energy, I am stability and Nikki is the subtleness. We have earned this friendship for ourselves & hope to keep it as fresh as it started. It’s a strange but lovely feeling that has kept us bound to one another despite of so many fights, ups & downs & even the distance. Who say’s long distance relationships are difficult. Look at us we have pulled it off so well, if we can everyone can…

3 cheers for our Friendship & we pray it remains the same till our last breath.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh!! now i know who ur friends from the US r...
Its really sad when ur best friends go away.. especially when u r the reserved kind of person.. it has happened to me too.. both my school buddies r in the states.. maybe ill meet them when i get to be there next yr ;)

PS. even i was in bholas... but in 97!! ;)