Pages

May 11, 2007

Grandparent’s Affection

There is something really nice to have grandparents around. I was brought with my dada and dadi around and being the eldest in the family I had most of their attention in all respects. Apparently since the day I started with my masters, I really some how strongly felt and now I agree that I missed a lotta things. I was unable to give time to people around me be it mum n dad or the most important my dadu.

As usual whenever I get out for some work I really forget everything unless I am done with it. The same happened today being my cousin’s bday I told dadu that I would join them for lunch. There was not some great lunch prepared but then to I was supposed to have lunch with all of them. I got stuck with work at hospital so badly that I had no track on time. It was only at 1.00 pm when dadu called up I realized that it was so late.

He was so excited to have lunch with me that he had asked my aunt to make mango ras n a few of my favourite things. Everybody finished their lunch but he was still waiting. He is suppose to eat lunch on time because he has to take his medicines and these days he isn’t keeping well. I felt so bad that I couldn’t make it on time and he had to eat lunch alone. He did not even sleep in the afternoon and was waiting for me to reach home.

If that was not enough, when I reached home I was exhausted. And by the time I got fresh he had asked the maid to serve me the plate since no one was there at home. We sat together even he had lil bit to give me company and we had a great conversation. Then we relaxed for a while, had our classic cutting style tea then we headed to the garden where he has this huge group of old grandfathers.

It was so much fun being with these oldies. He introduced me with all. All of them were so happy to see me around. They were the best kids I have ever seen. Each one was trying to pull others leg and like small kids no one left any chance to pull other’s leg.
After a while we headed to the old age home where he has some friends.

Some thing strange was that I had known quite a few of them because they used to visit our place before. They were not staying at the old age home because they had problem at their homes or any financial crisis or anything as such. But they wanted their independence and the urge to be all by themselves. Most of them had their kids in the US.
The only thing I thought they missed was their grandchildren. They were so happy that my dadu is able to spend time with his grandchildren. It was such an emotional moment that it spontaneously prompted me to tell them that even I was like their granddaughter and would definitely come to visit them whenever I am close by or around that place. Only these words brought happiness on their face that was so clearly visible.

It’s not only about having grandparents around but you only realize their importance when you don’t have them around or when you compare your lives with ones who never had a chance to experience that affection. I still remem while I was a kid and we had just moved from a joint family to our nuclear one and my dada and dadi whenever they used to come to my place for a stay over, they used to come after my school to pick me up and brought me things. This was not it but they even used to gift chocolates to my frnds around. So with me even my frnds used to wait when again my dada n dadi were coming back for a stay. It was not about the chocolates but the affection they got from them. Having them around was an absolute different feeling and you get to do all the things generally your parents don’t let you do.

I remember I used to wait for my dadi to come to my place for a stay. A day before she was suppose to come I suddenly use to become the stronger one. Toubled my mum n dad and if they scolded me I used to go mad at them n tried to scare them,” wait let dadi come tomorrow, then you try to scold me in front of her. Then I’ll see who is worng and who is right” hahaha. Beautifu memories to cherish with them and my birthdays were always more than special with them being around.

Today I only think that I learnt a lot form them because they are better ones in guiding kids with what is right and what is wrong. Way patient as compared to the parents and above all nothing can match their affection for you. I only wish that my kids have this wonderful pleasure of having their grandparents around. Its something very different and no other materialistic things and pleasures can take its place.

No comments: