Pages

Jan 30, 2013

Serenity and Solace in Solitude

Seems world is spinning faster and faster as each day passes by; resulting in enormous pressures, expectations and stress to overcome. We come to point that the only thing we look for or want is a balance and a sense that we hold the steering of our life.

Failing to have that  we overreact, feel overloaded, get easily annoyed with small stupid things and a feeling that we will never be able to catch up! So has my world been for a little more than a year for now! I have grown above the trials that life has thrown that I expect a lot, a lot more from myself.
Like its said its darkest before the sunrise, no matter what you do things just don't go your way. I have been there and felt the same. What has helped me to keep myself going is the concept and practicing mindfulness.

People think I am going crazy but I love when I pull myself out and away from people. And I am doing the same today. Away from home - especially constant attention from my mom.  Sitting here at Novotel beach facing cafe by myself in the afternoon was wonderful! Sometimes it is so important to give yourself I, Me and Myself time with some silence. Its like meditation. The sound of the waves brushing the shore, the cold breeze that travels across the Arabian sea seems relaxing.

I fail to understand why people generally mistake being silent and having solitude with being depressed and being lonely - a negative state which is a trait of isolation. Being silent and lonely is when you feel something within you or your life is missing. Its when you are with people but still don't feel part of it.

Solitude is that time you are with yourself without feeling lonely. Its very positive frame of mind, gives an opportunity to reflect, constructive engagement of mind be it enjoying the nature, reading random things, be it bird watching. Its the happy feeling, content that it brings along. It is a means of enjoying the quiet and whatever it brings that is satisfying and from which we draw sustenance. It is something we cultivate. Solitude is refreshing; an opportunity to renew ourselves. In other words, it replenishes us.

We all need periods of solitude, although temperamentally we probably differ in the amount of solitude we need. Some solitude is essential; It gives us time to explore and know ourselves. It is the necessary counterpoint to intimacy, what allows us to have a self worthy of sharing. Solitude gives us a chance to regain perspective. It renews us for the challenges of life. It allows us to get (back) into the position of driving our own lives, rather than having them run by schedules and demands from without.

No comments: