Pages

May 23, 2012

Being an “Open Book”


Swi and I, somehow from a normal casual conversation land up at a point that we start arguing/debating on some or the other thing out of random.

Lately a lot of people around  me have been using this phrase “I’m an open book” recklessly.

Is being honest, speaking heart felt and being an open book one and the same???
If I had to answer... no its not!

For me, telling someone that you are an open book means you are saying that there is no more specific further details other that what some/many people already know... It’s not an answer when you are asked to be honest...

I don’t know if this is philosophy or psych... but its my perception... a book is a writer’s creation... the writer who had the control and choice what to write and what not to write... its can be real, fantasy or fiction... All I want to emphasize is the fact that the writer has the CONTROL and CHOICE of what he wants to share in public/open.... would you call that to be HONEST???

And the worst part is, most of the times this is used as an answer; when it comes to questions related to relationships.

I don’t want to write a long post but for some smart souls who want me to give an example:

ABC: We were together for 3 years and everyone knows no matter how much ever we tried we always land up fighting and hurting one another
ME: It still bothers you even today. You have to move on...
ABC: I have moved on... I am an open book!

The so called “Open Book” part of the story would not include what ABC went through emotionally, internally at that point of time and today.... they are feelings that no words can express and explain and I am sure no one can put them in words, they are only felt....

All that people knew was that they were together and the relationship did not work and ways were parted and it was a hurting experience!

In the end, to me if you use the phrase "I'm an open book" when I ask you an open ended question... Either good or bad, there is way lot more to be known beyond what everyone else or most of them know related to the question!!!

No comments: